My name is Tara, and I’m the author of this little blog. I’ve created and deleted numerous blogs, always starting one with the intention of updating it frequently and finding a “niche” that will make it more attractive to readers, but usually end up becoming frustrated with the lack of direction and the fact that most of the visitors to my site are spammers. However, this time around I’ve decided that it’s not so much important that I have a “niche,” as much as it’s important that I write what’s on my heart and write in such a way that maybe I can use my words to connect with others. So, hopefully I can accomplish this with “The Blackbird Diaries,” and hopefully you’ll stick around to follow me on my journey.
Now, a little more about me:
- I’m a law student living in the Midwest. Law school is probably the hardest thing I’ve ever attempted in my life, but I’m hopeful that if I can stick it out, it will be worth it in the end. Eye on the prize, right?
- I was born and raised in Smalltown, Kansas. Quite honestly, I don’t have much loyalty to my home state, but I suppose there are a few redeeming qualities about the place: Beautiful sunsets, a peacefulness you won’t find in the city, and, of course, the Jayhawks.
- My favorite TV show of all time is The Golden Girls. Most people think it’s pretty silly/weird that I love this show, but I find it absolutely hilarious and think that every major life lesson out there can be learned by watching the show.
- I do CrossFit and have been trying to get into running. I’m failing miserably at both, currently, but am hopeful that eventually I’ll kick my ass into gear and get myself to a healthy place physically.
- I have clinical depression (also known as Major Depressive Disorder). It’s something with which I’ve struggled for several years, and something that I have to work hard to overcome every single day. I used to be ashamed of it, but have learned that it is not something about which I should be embarrassed–it is part of me, but it does NOT define me. And maybe if we, as a society, talked about mental illness more often and more openly, not as many people would silently suffer.
- If I were to name one thing about myself that could be considered a “trademark,” it would probably be my hair. I have very curly, very voluminous hair, and I absolutely love it (even though it took some time, as I spent many years trying to tame it). It is not uncommon for me to go out for a night on the town and have a random–usually drunk–person walk up to me and start playing with my hair (kind of creepy, but mostly funny).
- The name of this blog, “The Blackbird Diaries,” comes from my love of The Beatles’ song “Blackbird.” I have a tattoo on my ribs of blackbirds and lyrics from the song, and another tattoo with more blackbirds on my shoulder. There’s a lot of personal meaning for me in the song, so I’m happy to be able to incorporate it into my life in whatever way that I can.
Well, that’s probably enough about me for now. Thank you for stopping by to read this thing…I hope you’ll stick around!